Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Firestone Roasting House, No Thanks!


Firestone Roasting House on the Christina Riverfront opened its doors where CW Harborside used to be. Thank the outdoor boozing gods FireStone kept the outside bar/lounge area in tact and it will be opening the outside area tonight. From what I understand they have added a large wood-burning fireplace and char-pits to their sitting areas, so if it is chilly you can still enjoy the band and drink a few Hot Toddies!


The restaurant itself opened last week and features pizzas made in a stone roasting oven, steaks, prime rib, seafood, sandwiches and salads. They have a nice wine list and a fun bar menu. Joe and I went on Monday night and I was disappointed. I ordered a Cucumber Mint Gimlet and Joe ordered a Wide Awake Drunk ( HA, don't we all just want him to go to sleep at times, especially when he is drunk) and his drink came out in a timely fashion. MY drink however, took a good ten minutes, if not more. First I was told they were working on finding some fresh mint, then I was told they were slicing the cucumbers....when I did get my drink, it was terrible. Now in all fairness, it is made with Gin, and a lot of it, but I thought it would be minty and fresh. It was terrible. I sent it back and settled for a nice glass of Pinot Grigio.

For an appetizer we ordered CHICAGO style Spinach and Artichoke Dip. The only thing Chicago about this Dip was, well, um, nothing! OK, it did have a small side of sour cream and a small side of salsa. Joe and I decided THAT must be what made it Chicago style. Have you ever had TGIF spinach and artichoke dip out of the freezer section? Yup, basically the same thing. Pizza was next. We ordered one pizza, the special of the day, Buffalo Chicken style. It was good, but I wouldn't order it again. It is with a heavy heart (well it is a little lighter these days because of the Fatty Pig Fatty competition) that I inform you, we skipped desert. Didn't even look at the menu! PROGRESS!

To wrap this up, I did not like Firestone. I will not go back there on my own accord for dinner. I will go for the outside bar, and I will try their bar menu, I am sure, but if I want gourmet pizza (does pizza ever classify as gourmet?) a light, fun atmosphere and a meal worthy of the price, I will stick with Pizza By ELizabeths or Anthony's Coal Fired Pizza, the new place off of Route 202! THATS some kick ass pizza!

OH, and I am so excited because Harvest Restaurant in Glen Eagle Shopping Center, is now open. I am hoping to get there before I leave for Chicago, where I will be in restaurant HEAVEN!

Luv Ya,
AllieMac'Gina

2 comments:

  1. Ed and I went there last Saturday and were also less than impressed. We stuck with beer and Sapphire and Tonic - which we sipped under the sun whilst gazing upon the water - so no disappointment there. I was tempted to try something fancy and reading this, I am glad I stuck to my tried and true.

    We did find the menu lacking, both in selection and creativity. Though we enjoyed our big fat burgers (the fries were delish-FPF Take 2 here we come), the next time I need a big fat burger overlooking the water, it will be at Iron Hill.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The menu was VERY limited. If you are only offering a few choices in each catagory, make them exceptional! I think we had five or six pizzas to choose from. I dont even recall the seafood, cept when Joe kept talking with his mouth full.

    I do like sitting outside this time of year, though. I think that is going to be the only true draw there, as it was with CW Harborside.
    Thanks Cheryl!

    ReplyDelete